Company: Fastwyre Broadband
Location: Lake Charles
Posted on: September 21, 2022
Position Purpose/Summary The Telecom Technician is committed to
providing the highest quality of service to the communities,
customers, and employees we serve by providing installation,
testing, maintenance and repair of telecommunication facilities and
equipment, such as, but not limited to, telephony, video service,
FTTx, internet and wireless in a safe and proper manner set forth
by company policy and without constant supervision. Primary Duties
- The below list of duties and responsibilities is meant to cover
a wide range of operational areas and technical levels and as such,
some of these may not apply to your area of operation (location)
and/or your current technical level (Trainee through Telecom Tech
IV). Your supervisor will provide clear direction on what duties
are expected of you and will provide a detailed path for career
- Install new Broadband services, including but not limited to;
video service, wireless, internet, cable modem, DSL, telephony, and
- Responds to service orders for troubles, upgrades, removals, or
changes to a customer's residential or business broadband services,
which includes key systems, telephony, video, internet, and
- Ensures that all service orders, troubles, and locates that are
assigned to him/her are closed out daily.
- Installs ONT's, jacks, pedestals, terminals, splitters, taps,
protectors, and grounding.
- Ensure company inventory is maintained and reported for items
utilized by technician.
- Maintain timesheets, vehicle records, company issued test
equipment and any company property/equipment.
- Performs routine office maintenance and/or repairs on equipment
(such as, batteries, alarms, air filters and general fluid levels)
and follows procedures for maintaining site logs and records.
- Responsible for locating fiber, coax, telephone and marking
- Splices and repairs new and existing telecommunication
- Climbs poles & towers to install or repair telecommunication
lines and facilities.
- Troubleshoots malfunctioning telecommunication cables using
testing devices such as meters and analyzers, to locate and the
diagnose nature of the problem and make repairs.
- If applicable, changes out Cable Television (CATV) headend
equipment, such as, but not limited to, receivers, video ciphers,
modulators, and scramblers.
- If applicable, troubleshoots from the house to the headend,
such as, but not limited to, amplifiers, line extenders, bridges,
and power insertions.
- Installs, tests, maintains, and repairs advanced
telecommunication services, such as, but not limited to, DDS, XDSL,
- Performs the installation, operations, maintenance, testing,
and provisioning of Central Office equipment from various
- Has a basic understanding of the technology behind; Wide Area
Network equipment, protocols and services, Fiber Optic systems and
equipment including OC-1, OC-3 OC-12, Sonet, CWDM and DWDM.
- Has a basic understanding of computer network protocols and
equipment, such as but not limited to Routers, Switches, Ethernet,
SMTP, IMAP, and SNMP.
- Operates equipment such as, but not limited to, backhoes,
trenchers, cable plows and dozers.
- Installs, operates, and maintains radio systems, such as, but
not limited to, microwave, UFH, VFH and BETRS where
- Completes specialized reports, logs, and reports as
- Responds to ASR's and is responsible for coordinating and/or
performing Engineering, Installation and Provisioning of the basic
equipment to fulfill an ASR.
- Understanding how all departments contribute to the success of
the organization and referring customers and employees to the
appropriate department to best fulfill their needs.
- Perform "Lead Technician" duties, such as but not limited to,
mentoring less experienced technicians, act as job or crew lead on
projects, assisting area supervisor as requested.
- Performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Abilities, & Skills for Success
- Effectively communicate in a positive and professional manner
through written and verbal communications in all interfaces with
customers/public, fellow employees, and vendors.
- Ability to use appropriate computer programs (including, but
not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite) which includes having
proficient computer skills and the ability to adapt and learn as
programs and processes change.
- Ability to work as a team member and exert initiative to work
independently to reach a goal.
- Ability to embrace change in the workplace while encouraging
others to seek innovative approaches.
- Ability to function effectively as a team player.
- Knowledge of and the ability to comply with Company's Customer
Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) regulations and
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule, as needed, to best
serve our customers.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to use various hand tools, test equipment, and operate
heavy equipment for underground & aerial plant.
- Must have basic math skills and understand and use simple
formulas, charts, tables, drawings, specifications, schedules,
wiring diagrams and measuring instruments.
- Ability to use SL meters, Volt/OHM meters, DSL meters, light
meters, and TDRs to effectively to solve problems. Qualifications
At a minimum, the Telecom Technician must have high school Diploma,
or equivalent, along with a valid driver's license. Previous
telecommunications and/or customer service experience is preferred.
Select one the following for the each of the items listed
- N (Not Applicable) - Activity is not applicable to this
- O (Occasionally) - Occupation requires this activity up to 33%
of the time or 0 - 2.5+ hours/day.
- F (Frequently) - Occupation requires this activity from 33%-66%
of the time or 2.5-5.5+ hours/day.
- C (Constantly) - Occupation requires this activity more than
66% of the time or 5.5+ hours/day. Standing N--- O--- F--' C---
Walking N--- O--- F--' C--- Sitting N--- O--- F--' C--- Reach
Outward N--- O--- F--' C--- Reach Above Shoulder N--- O--' F---
C--- Climbing N--- O--' F--- C--- Crawling N--- O--' F--- C---
Squatting/Kneeling N--- O--' F--- C--- Bending N--- O--- F--' C---
Keyboarding N--- O--' F--- C--- Driving N--- O--- F--' C--- Hearing
N--- O--- F--- C--' Perceiving N--- O--- F--- C--' Communicating
N--- O--- F--- C--' Distinguish Colors N--- O--- F--' C--' Outdoor
Climate N--- O--- F--- C--' Various Terrain N--- O--- F--' C---
Cramped Workspace N--- O--- F--' C--- Lift/Carry: Up to 10 lbs N---
O--- F--' C--- Up to 20 lbs N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 50 lbs N---
O--- F--' C--- Up to 75 lbs N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 100 lbs N---
O--' F--- C--- 100+ lbs N--- O--' F--- C--- Push/Pull: Up to 10 lbs
N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 20 lbs N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 50 lbs
N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 75 lbs N--- O--- F--' C--- Up to 100 lbs
N--- O--- F--' C--- 100+ lbs N--- O--' F--- C--- Disclosure The
Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential
functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to
provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability
to perform the position described. It is not intended to be
construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities,
skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be
assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does
not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves
the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for
the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
American Broadband, dba Fastwyre Broadband, is an equal opportunity
employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an
inclusive environment for all employees. PI191588570
Keywords: Fastwyre Broadband, Lake Charles , Telecom Technician, Professions , Lake Charles, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!