Expert - Turnaround Optimization
Company: Westlake Chemical
Posted on: January 19, 2023
This position is responsible for development, execution, and
decisions for the company's turnaround strategy that have far
reaching impacts on safety, reliability, costs, and financial
performance. The Turnaround Optimization Expert is responsible for
improving turnaround safety, scheduling, execution, costs, and
improving plant reliability between turnarounds. This includes
identifying and documenting processes for improving plant
turnaround performance to high levels compared to industry
performance benchmarks. Serves as subject matter expert on chemical
turnarounds, potentially of several hundred -million-dollar scope,
large project and process controls. Works as a peer to Plant
Managers and manufacturing leadership to influence and lead large
project teams. This position will be concentrated within our
Chemical plants in the United States, Germany, and Asia.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
May include, but are not limited to, the following:
* Ensures a strong safety culture through turnaround excellence as
well as leadership behaviors demonstrating a commitment to
environmental, health & safety.
* Serves as a subject matter expert on chemical plant turnaround
* Develops strategy and standardized Westlake turnaround process
best practices to be implemented across Westlake.
* Builds competence in best practices of chemical plant turnaround
processes. Leads the creation of turnaround process and practices
including stage gate process, turnaround readiness, risk
assessments, project management controls, KPI's, and turnaround
* Works with site leadership on evaluating turnaround methods as
well as critiques of past turnarounds.
* Leads materials management strategy assessments.
* In conjunction with purchasing, ensure effective corporate
negotiations on key turnaround cost drivers.
* Develops KPI's for measuring the performance of turnarounds,
ensuring visibility of results with manufacturing leadership
* Performs an expert assessment of turnaround best practices.
* Provide insight in chemical industry turnaround best practices
and ensure incorporation into Westlake turnarounds as
* Engages Sr. Leadership in turnaround stage gate process to ensure
turnarounds are proceeding according to plan. Anticipates,
identifies, and rectifies issues as appropriate. Ensures issues
with equipment performance are included as needed in turnaround
* Incorporates Digitalization tools in turnaround preparation and
simulations as appropriate.
* Successful candidates must background screening, including motor
vehicle record screening, drug testing and pre-employment physical
requirements before starting work.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Fifteen years of demonstrated leadership experience and
expertise in Turnaround activities such as planning, scheduling,
field management, and process development.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication
skills, verbal and written.
- Proficient computer skills, with good working knowledge of all
standard company applications (i.e., Microsoft Word, Excel,
- Self-directed and motivated
- Strong leadership skills
- Influencing and team building skills
- Ability to make sound decisions based upon technical
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently
required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to touch, handle, or feel;
reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is
occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. During plant
visits must be able to climb stairs and ladders in order to access
elevated structures and equipment such as towers and columns.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth
perception, and ability to adjust focus. Additionally, this
position must make general decisions requiring judgement and
perform activities requiring sustained concentration.
The noise level in the work environment is sometimes moderate when
working in an office, however, some of the work may be required in
the operating units which mandates usage of required PPE including
safety glasses, hearing protection, and respirators. May also
result in exposure to outside elements and may require usage of
stairs and elevators. Travel including air travel or auto travel
will be required.
This position will be located in Houston, Texas and will be
required to travel to our other Westlake plant locations in the
United States, Germany, and Asia. If an internal candidate is
chosen, that person may be allowed to remain at his/her current
Keywords: Westlake Chemical, Lake Charles , Expert - Turnaround Optimization, Other , Sulphur, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!